10.19.2010

Larb: Thai Spicy "Beef" Salad


Alex and I are big fans of Thai food, and one of our favorite dishes we always order is Larb. Pretty strange name, but the flavors in this dish really pack a punch. I decided to try my hand at making a version using my tried, tested, and most preferred meat substitute Yves Meatless Ground. It turned out better than I could have imagined actually. I looked around for recipes and grabbed bits and pieces from two. My version went something like this:

  • 1 package of meatless ground
  • 3 shallots, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 cloves of chopped garlic
  • 3 green onions sliced
  • 6 mint leaves, thinly sliced (for garnish)
  • cilantro (for garnish)
  • juice of two limes
  • 2 tablespoons fish sauce (or use soy sauce)
  • dried chili flakes (I used about 1/2 tablespoon)
  • handful of grape tomatoes halved
  • 1 jalapeno, chopped
Saute shallots and garlic together in 2 tablespoons canola oil. Then add meatless ground. Cook 8 minutes. Set "meat" aside and wait until it cools.

When cooled add fish sauce (or soy), juice from limes, chili flakes, red and green onions, tomatoes, jalapeno and stir. Plate "meat" on bed of butter lettuce and top with mint, cilantro and garnish with lime wedges.

That's it! Really delicious and super easy to make.


1 comment:

  1. this sounds SUPER good and easy! i'm going to try this for sure... gracias:)

    ReplyDelete